Monday, May 2, 2011

Hate does not become us.

Osama Bin Laden is dead. It is a strange day. Nothing significant changed in my schedule or routine. I did not feel any different and aside from the comment I threw out at work this morning no one mentioned it. Yet, people danced in Times Square. The National Anthem was sung in acapella unison on the White House Lawn. Tourists and Locals moved down to Ground Zero and paid homage to a day in history. Some would call it a great day, but regardless, great or not, many, many people died last night and have died over the past 10 years.
It is so easy to "celebrate;" to cast off our stress of another year with "him" out there and on the loose. But I cannot easily celebrate the death of another. Martin Luther King Jr. said it best, "I mourn for the loss of thousands of helpless lives, but I cannot rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate, multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
What I did focus on today was the reality of the countless men and women who have served to protect me and my freedoms. They sit on the lines, guns in hand, ready to defend or attack, so that I can continue pursuing my dreams. And oh what pointless, luxurious dreams they are. Our soldiers sleep in holes in the desert, while I design bedrooms of spa like proportions. I contemplate paint color schemes and coordinating fabrics, while they stare into vasts deserts looking for the sniper ready to shoot them dead. I audition for the right to play a pregnant army wife, while there are real women explaining to their children why daddy can't come home to them.
We are at war because 9 years ago, 2 planes and 2 buildings collided with one another and thousands of people died. One man masterminded an operation that would forever change my world. It would be so easy to hate them. But all I feel is sadness for them. I want to shake my hand in justified vengeance and say, "serves you right!" But all I can think about is how grateful I am to the people who keep me safe everyday. I just want to thank them.
THANK YOU TO OUR ARMED FORCES...THANK YOU FOR RISKING YOUR LIVES SO THAT I CAN HAVE ONE.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Hello. I'm Bree Tuttle, owner of You in Mind Designs, LLC. I've been a designer for 13 years and I work with you in mind. There's much joy in discovering those treasures in your home that are, perhaps, misplaced or even in the attic. I will help you making every room a reflection of who you are personally. It's my philosophy that if you feel proud, safe, and at peace in your home, then it will affect all aspects of your life. You stand straighter, walk taller, dress better, work harder, sleep more soundly, and ultimately have a more fulfilling life. If I can help you do that, then I'll consider my job as your designer a success.